Thursday, June 12, 2014

More creative stuff

Inspired by this:

And this huge image file:

And fueled by practically free printing and leftover pieces of wooden floor underlayment, black stain from the cabinet, and a little mod podge, I made these:

I love the map tones on the blue bathroom wall, and I was looking for something that was decidedly not girly.

A couple productions notes:

  • For the first round, I tried spray gluing the paper (cover stock) onto the wood but ended up with lots of wrinkles so I pulled it off and started over.
  • For the next round, I mod podged it in place, still got the bubbles/wrinkles, but it was wet enough that I was able to keep working it as it dried, so I was able to get them all out.
  • I then coated it all with more satin finish mod podge.  It's not my favorite medium (I can always see brush strokes in the finished product), but it was adequate for the need and I'm guessing the two main users of this bathroom will never notice.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I have to say, I was super impressed by that map when I saw it at home. I was sure you had bought it at Pier One or the like.

Margaret Mary said...

People who buy things are suckers. ;-)