Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I really don't want to hear your birth story

I live in a world of church ladies and home schooling moms and families that make my own look small, so I'm very likely to hear about doulas and encapsulating your placenta, and water births, and home births, and a bunch of stuff that I don't even want to know more details about (definitely putting that placenta thing in this category) and the beauty of it all.  Birth stories are a mixture of "it's great to be a girl," "the beauty of motherhood," "badge of honor," "I survived," and one-upmanship  (with the most horrific story being the winner, of course), but I think it's fair to say I've never, ever heard this perspective on the "birth story" topic before.

I laughed, I cried, I agreed (although probably not so vehemently).  It certainly is a refreshing take on the whole thing.

My own birth stories all go along the lines of "the doctor barely/did not make it in time," and "I'd offer to go through labor twice if I could skip the last chunk of pregnancy," and if pressed that's exactly how I tell it.

No comments: