Monday, June 2, 2008

More Musical Fun

In contrast to my last musical find, there were more interesting options at this weekend's Conference. First, I found We Sing of Our Land (level 7 of the Music Series for Catholic Schools, published by Ginn in 1960). The first clues of the fun therein begin on the contents page which is arranged liturgically in sections labeled After Pentecost, Advent, Christmastide and After, Lent and Passiontide, Eastertide, and of course, back to Pentecost. The first song - To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King and the last page - Chart of Neums and Modes. Most pages are illustrated with those charming line drawings I remember from my own elementary school days. And for a hardcover in good condition for only $2 - I was powerless to resist. (Thanks to Mary's Books for rescuing used books like these and finding them good homes. It's like the Humane Society, only better.)
Of course, I wouldn't have seen this particular illustration at Grover Cleveland Elementary School, but I thought you all might enjoy it. ;-)

The other thing I purchased is a collection of Advent Hymns from Alan Jemison arranged for play on the piano. You may have heard me mention a time or two my pet peeves about the celebration of Advent (or lack thereof), and I hope Jen will be able to fill the house with reflections proper to the season such as The World is Very Evil. (and if she's busy with school or whatever, I can listen to the two accompanying CDs.)

No comments: