Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Bedroom Remodel Part 2: Headboard

I've been informally looking for a used headboard for the past year and really haven't found anything I like for a price I'm willing to pay and it was finally to the point where it was holding up the project.

So, inspired by this:

and fueled by nice weather, cheap lumber, and owing a couple decent tools that did all the real work, I made my own.  It also helped that the word "rustic" was part of the original pinterest title I saw.  ("That?  Oh, it's supposed to look that way.  It's rustic!")

We bought the lumber after the parish picnic on Sunday.

And I started putting it together the same evening.

By Monday I was able to prime it.

And today (Wednesday) we installed it!  The only reason it took that long was that I worked two of those days and needed to fit in coats of paint in the mornings and evenings.

Ta da!

This is the first actual piece of furniture I've ever made all by myself and I'm pretty pleased with the results.  Obviously, it's in the beginner range for such things and I can't overestimate the value of having a saw that makes perfectly square cuts all by itself.  Nonetheless, yay me!

Next up, I'm going to vacuum those little piles of sawdust from drilling the holes to attach it to the bed frame and then I'll prioritize what will be stored under the bed and start doing some actual decorating.

NOTES:

  • I used carsiding instead of the 1x4's and 1x6's listed in the instructions.
  • I made mine quite a bit shorter (maybe 10 inches or so).
  • I was going to transfer something from the Graphics Fairy onto this blank canvas, but I tried it on a practice board and decided that I need a LOT more practice before attempting a big project.  


1 comment:

Margaret Mary said...

http://ana-white.com/2014/07/reclaimed-wood-headboard-queen-size